Even though we’re in the middle of the summer, Wallingford-based Seattle Tilth still has some open spots for kids’ summer camps. The camps are offered at the Good Shepherd Center (4649 Sunnyside Avenue North) in Wallingford. Here are a few classes that are still open:
Slimy Creatures: ages 3-5
- Mon. & Tues., August 6 & 7; 10 a.m.-noon
- Explore the world of slugs, snails, worms and other slippery critters. Learn their role in the garden. Go on a slug hunt, charm snails from their shells and hold live, wiggly worms! Slimy!
Bug School: ages 3-5
- Thurs. & Fri., August 9 & 10; 10 a.m.-noon
- Insects are our friends. Dive into a fantastic exploration of garden insects. Learn anatomy, build bug houses, and discover how to invite beneficial insects to your own garden.
Fantastic Flowers: ages 3-5
- Mon. & Tues., August 27 & 28; 10 a.m.-noon
- Flowers are fantastic! They provide beauty and attract many beneficial insects to our gardens. Taste edible flowers, find a garden rainbow and make an outrageous bouquet. Plant flower seeds to grow in your own garden.
Plant Planet: ages 6-10
- Mon.-Fri., July 30-Aug. 3; 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Now is the perfect time to plant your fall and winter garden. Set up a plant nursery, plant seed flats and take seeds home to grow. Create your own seed catalog and garden journal.
Junior Counselor Program: ages 10-14
If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger students, this is for them! Junior Counselors help set-up and clean-up garden activities, assist Children’s Garden staff, lead small group activities and learn more about organic gardening. Week-long placements offer all the fun of summer camp with the opportunity to develop leadership skills.
Jr. Counselors come 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay 30 minutes after campers depart to help set-up and clean-up (these setup/cleanup times are built into the listings below). Leadership training and orientation provided. Jr. Counselors will be entering grades 5-9 in fall 2012 (or equivalent). Mon.-Fri., August 20–24; 8:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
For a full list of classes still available, visit Seattle Tilth’s summer camp page.